Every year I post a similar blog, just tweak some resolutions and add a few more. This year, I am hoping that 2012 will be the year that the Wellness Revolution really kicks in.
When I qualified as a Doctor at 26 years old, I thought I knew everything there was to know about health and medicine. By the age of 30, I realized my medical training was limited and I didn’t really know much about health and wellness. So I went on a journey of discovery to expand my horizons and studied acupuncture, Chinese medicine, Functional medicine, nutrition, yoga and Buddhism. By 50, I realized my life training was limited too as my daughter (a teenager at the time) was pointing out “how stupid” I was. And now that I am 57, I realize I have amassed a lot of knowledge but have so much more to learn.
As I get older and hopefully wiser with every year, certain insights become clearer. Here are some of them gleaned from the wisdom I have gained from 32 years of marriage to my beautiful wife, Janice, having a wonderful 24 yr old daughter, Alison, 32 years of practicing medicine and being a perpetual student of life.
- More Real Food, Less Food-like Substances
- More Fruit and Vegetables, Less Sugar, Gluten and Dairy
- More Plant Foods, Less Animal products
- More Organic, Less Chemicals
- More Clean Products, Less Toxic Products
- More Chewing, Less Eating
- More Water, Less Alcohol
- More Walking, Less Driving
- More Exercising, Less Sitting at the Computer
- More Music, Less Noise
- More Recycling, Less Waste
- More Outdoors, Less Indoors
- More Meditation, Less Worry
- More Slow, Less Hurry
- More Smiles, Less Anger
- More Love, Less Hatred
- More Fun, Less Serious
- More Letting Go, Less Holding On
- More Being, Less Doing
- More Presence, Less Absence
- More Generosity, Less Greed
- More Forgiving, Less Blaming
- More Ubuntu, Less Me
- More Inclusion, Less Exclusion
- More Health Care, Less Disease Care
Our health should be a human right but is being undermined by powerful economic and political forces. From the processed food industry and agribusiness to pharmaceuticals, there are well-funded interests making money by keeping us unhealthy. We cannot be passive anymore. We need to take responsibility for our own health, the health of our families and the world at large.
Let 2012 be the year when the Wellness Revolution really kicks in.