It’s finally Spring on the East Coast, the days are longer, the sun is warmer, blossoms are out and the farmer’s markets are brimming with springtime produce.
It’s the perfect time of year to start thinking salads again and one of our favorites is a simple arugula and strawberry salad. It looks pretty on the plate and the juxtaposition of sweet and peppery will make your taste buds very happy.
Since it’s a very casual recipe, quantities are not specific, go with what looks right, you can’t go wrong. Here’s what you need:
- Fresh Arugula leaves – washed
- Fresh Strawberries – washed, hulled and cut into quarters or halves
- Extra virgin olive oil – about ½ to 1 Tablespoon
- Balsamic vinegar – about ½ to 1 Tablespoon
- Pinch sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
If you’d like to make it more “fancy,” add the following:
- A little goat cheese – crumbled
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Organic cooked edamame
- Lightly toasted almonds
Toss together in a salad bowl and enjoy.