Need a new go-to lunch recipe that’s nutritious and delicious? These wraps, which use collard greens in place of tortillas, should fit the bill. Filled with avocado, apple, onions, and cabbage, these gluten-free, vegan roll-ups will provide you with the perfect midday fuel — and help you sneak more greens into your diet.
Perhaps you’ve had an ordinary lettuce wrap, but collard leaves are much sturdier than most lettuce, so these won’t fall apart on you. The fiber-rich collard greens are also packed with health benefits, including anti-inflammatory properties and mood-boosting powers. Plus, the avocado in this recipe is the perfect healthy fat to fill you up.
If you want to try more collard wraps, check out these wild salmon collard rolls with tahini dressing.
- 4 large collard green leaves, stems trimmed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, peeled and sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1 green apple, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Boil a large pot of water and dip the collard green leaves into the water one by one for about 15 seconds or until the leaves turn bright green. Remove from the boiling water and immediately place in a bucket of ice cold water. Lay the leaves on a flat surface and pat them dry.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, salt, and pepper and cover. Stir every five minutes, allowing the onions to sit and caramelize. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Lay the collard greens on a serving platter face up. Spread the avocado onto the leaves followed by the cabbage, apple, caramelized onions, and sesame seeds. Season to taste with salt and pepper, wrap like a burrito, and serve immediately.