Baaba Maal is both one of my favorite musicians as well as one of the finest people I know. Not only is he a superstar in his native Senegal and a spiritual pop singer, he is on a mission to bridge the cultural divide between Africa and the rest of the world. As an artist, Baaba Maal is regarded highly because of his unique musical style – his ability to mix traditional music with modern beats. His popularity and status as an influential spokesperson for Africa is largely due to his social conscience and his ability to use his music to spread messages of hope.
Last year I moderated a Q and A session with him at Urban Zen, where he also performed a few songs. His final song was one that he sings frequently. It is a song for the African children who have lost their parents to HIV and subsequently fallen into a life of violence and drugs and a call to save these children by providing them with support and education. Watch here to get an idea of what I am talking about…he is special!!!!
Below is a mix of some of my favorite Baaba Maal tracks with both Itunes and Spotify links. If you want to know more about him and watch 2 great youtube videos of tracks that I could not find Spotify links to, click here.
2) Dakar Moon
3) Tindo Quando
6) Lam Tooro
7) Djam Leelii
8) Dunya Salam
9) Souka Nayo (Remix By Thievery Corporation)
It’s been over a year since Baaba toured the US in support of his latest album, Television, which I reviewed last year. This upcoming series of dates will give US audiences a different experience- the chance to hear Baaba’s worldly insight and knowledge.
Baaba Maal 2011 Speaking Tour Dates in the USA
- Oct 5 Oakland, CA @ Yoshi’s
- Oct 6 Oakland, CA @ Yoshi’s
- Oct 7 Santa Cruz, CA @ Rio Theatre
- Oct 8 Los Angeles, CA @ Univ of Southern California
- Oct 9 San Diego, CA @ Anthology
- Oct 11 Seattle, WA @ Triple Door
- Oct 13 Denver, CO @ L2 Arts & Cultural Center
- Oct 15 Minneapolis, MN @ Cedar Cultural Center
- Oct 16 Chicago, IL @ Old Town School of Folk Music
- Oct 17 Ann Arbor, MI @ The Ark
- Oct 18 Nelsonville, OH @ Smart’s Opera House
- Oct 19 Alexandria, VA @ Birchmere
- Oct 21 New York, NY @ Michael Schimmel Center for the Arts at PACE
- Oct 22 Blue Bell, PA @ Science Center Theatre
- Oct 23 Boston, MA @ ICA Theatre