The wind is howling and it’s beyond freezing cold outside. What a perfect time to make a hearty warming soup that’s easy to prepare and deliciously satisfying. Butternut squash and carrots are loaded with beta-carotene which is converted to Vitamin A and is important for eye, heart and breast health. What more could you ask for?
Butternut Squash and Root Vegetable Soup, serves 8
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 parsnips peeled and chopped
- 1 sweet potato peeled and chopped
- 2 leeks, cleaned and chopped, white parts only
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 cups organic vegetable stock
Heat the oil in a large pot, add the onions and garlic and sauté till they are soft.
Add remaining vegetables, thyme, salt and pepper and sauté for a few more minutes.
Pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer till the vegetables are soft, about 45 minutes.
Cool, then puree.
Adjust seasonings to taste and reheat before serving.