In my opinion, cheese can be one of the hardest dairy items to give up while on the Cleanse, so instead of feeling deprived, I love to make this cashew cream cheese to keep in the fridge. It makes a great dip, adds a nice creaminess to gluten free pasta dishes, and goes great with just about anything else that you would like cream cheese on. And you don’t have to be on the Cleanse to enjoy it!
Plus, its vegan, raw, gluten-free and dairy-free, which means that it can suit many diets.
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ clove garlic (or 1 small clove)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ – ¾ cups water
- Soak nuts overnight to soften (especially if you are not using a high powered blender).
- Drain and rinse nuts, and place in blender with lemon juice, garlic and sea salt.
- Begin blending on low, adding water as needed.
- Slowly increase speed and blend until thick, smooth and creamy, adding water to reach the right consistency (think of creating a cream cheese consistency).
- Enjoy right away or store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated.
- This “cream cheese” will probably last about 5 days in the fridge.
For added flavor, you can include fresh/dried herbs, sun dried tomatoes, honey, chipotle powder, etc.