Have you jumped on the chia seed bandwagon? I love chia seed pudding for breakfast in the spring and summer. It’s super quick and easy to prepare, and the variations are endless.
Chia seeds are a great superfood for a few reasons:
- A complete protein source, containing all 8 essential amino acids
- Packed with iron and calcium
- Great source of omega 3 fatty acids
- Have lots of fiber which can make you feel full and help with constipation
- Because chia seeds absorb many times their weight in water, they help with hydration and retaining electrolytes
- They are sugar free!
One easy way to incorporate chia seeds into your diet is by adding a tablespoon to your morning smoothie. Or if you want to change things up, try this recipe for Chia Seed Pudding:
Chia Seed Pudding with Endless Variations (Serves 1)
- 1/8 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Shredded coconut
- Ground flaxseed
- Honey or stevia
Mix the chia seeds, liquid, vanilla extract and salt. Place in the refrigerator overnight to thicken (or for at least 3 hours).
In the morning, you can add a splash more of liquid and any toppings you choose. Get creative and have fun! This is a breakfast you can easily “grab and go” and bring to work in a mason jar.
My favorite combo these days is avocado + mango + shredded coconut + a drizzle of honey.
What’s your favorite way to have chia seed pudding for breakfast?