This was always my holiday side-dish of choice growing up in Norway. It was always served alongside salty lamb and boiled potatoes — and the natural sweet flavor of the rutabaga really helps balance out the meal.
But it turns out that mashed root vegetables are good for more than just the traditional Christmas Eve meal. This version is delicious as a base for a meaty stew, lamb chops, or even chili. So creamy, delicious, and versatile — you’ll want to make this all the time!
- 5 cups raw rutabaga, peeled and diced
- 4 ½ cups of water
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper and nutmeg to taste
- Small dash of heavy cream (you can use a vegan creamer here if you like!)
- 1 tbsp pastured butter
- Peel and cut the rutabaga into cubes and add to a pot with the 4 ½ cups of pure water
- Boil the rutabaga until soft, and drain the water
- Mash the rutabaga and add salt, pepper, and nutmeg
- Stir in the heavy cream and butter and serve