Missing creamy salad dressings after cutting out dairy? This homemade dressing is rich, satisfying and completely dairy-free! It can dress all kinds of salads, but I enjoy it best on summer days atop a bed of grilled romaine. Tossed with the season’s sweet heirloom tomatoes, this salad makes for a meal with tasty textures and dynamic flavors.
Yield: Serves 4
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes
- 1 large avocado
- Juice of 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat up the grill or use a grill pan over medium heat.
- To prepare the romaine hearts, pull off any old leaves and cut the remainder in half lengthwise.
- Brush the surface with olive oil and season with a pinch of Celtic sea salt and coarse black pepper.
- Place on grill or grill pan with the cut side down and let sit for about 4-5 minutes. Lettuce should be slightly wilted and charred when ready.
- Slice heirloom tomatoes into quartered wedges and set aside.
- To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy. Add water as needed to adjust the consistency.
- To assemble the salad, lay the grilled romaine hearts cut side up on a serving platter. Place the sliced heirloom tomatoes over the romaine and drizzle with creamy avocado dressing.