Every day we buy products and bring them into our homes. We use them to make our lives easier, with the hopes of looking prettier and younger and we give them to our kids to play with. The surprising and scary truth is that these products undergo very little scrutiny and testing before they are set free on the unknowing public. Now there is increasing evidence that many synthetic chemicals in these products can interfere with the proper functioning of our endocrine system, by blocking or mimicking the effects of the hormones in our bodies. They are called endocrine disrupters. Some of these endocrine disrupting chemicals like DDT, DES (diethylstilbestrol), PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) have been banned in the US. But many others are pervasive in our food, water, cosmetics and the air we breathe; we are all exposed to these endocrine disrupting chemicals on a daily basis.
- We use and are exposed to more than 50,000 chemicals in our daily lives
- More than 3,000 chemicals are deliberately added to our food
- More than 700 chemicals have been identified in drinking water
- The average home contains more than 1,000 chemicals
- We are exposed to over 100 different chemicals in personal care products a day