We are always looking for a new mix when it comes to one of our favorite grains: quinoa. This honey lemon quinoa bowl is bursting with flavors and includes seasonal apples and pumpkin seeds for an extra nutrition boost.
- ½ cup quinoa
- 2 medium summer squash or zucchini, thinly sliced or diced
- 1 cup organic mixed salad greens (such as Earthbound Farm)
- 1/3 cup peeled and thinly sliced apple
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- Juice of 2 medium lemons
- ½ tsp. honey
- 2-3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes, optional
Cook quinoa according to package directions. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork, cover and set aside.
Meanwhile, steam squash in a steamer basket over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add to quinoa mixture and toss to combine. Add salad greens, apple, parsley and pumpkin seeds; toss again.
In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, honey, olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Drizzle over quinoa mixture and toss to combine. Season to taste and serve.