This light, flavorful, cleanse-friendly dish is packed with protein and low-carb veggies – a perfect summer meal! With uncomplicated ingredients and an easy template to follow, this recipe puts a delicious dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Grilled Shrimp with Spinach Pesto Zoodles (Serves 2)
- 8 oz. fresh or frozen (and thawed) wild-caught shrimp
- Handful of fresh organic basil leaves (stems removed)
- 2 cups fresh organic baby spinach
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice from ½ lemon (reserve other half for garnish)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium-large zucchinis
- 2 tsp coconut oil or spritzes of coconut oil spray (may also use avocado oil)
- Seasonings: sea salt, pepper, paprika
- Optional: nutritional yeast (in place of parmesan for pesto)
1. Peel and devein shrimp.
2. In a bowl, combine shrimp with a sprinkle of sea salt, pepper, paprika and lemon zest. Mix well so shrimp is well-covered. Set aside.
3. Using a spiralizer, chop both ends of zucchinis and spiral into “spaghetti.” Set aside.
4. Make the pesto by combining spinach, basil, lemon juice, minced garlic, and nutritional yeast (if using) – in a food processor. Add salt and pepper as desired. Slowly pour extra virgin olive oil until desired consistency is reached (it should be loose enough to toss with your zoodles). Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of pesto to the mixing bowl of zoodles and toss well. Add more pesto if needed to cover zoodles; save leftover pesto, if any, for use during the week.
6. Heat a cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Add a small amount of coconut oil if needed to prevent shrimp from sticking.
7. Place shrimp on pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until pink. Do not overcook.
8. Plate the zoodles. Top with shrimp. Garnish with lemon slices. Serve immediately.