A close friend gave me a Crock-Pot as a wedding gift. She’s a busy mother of four and said it was her secret weapon. The slow cooker sat in storage for at least a year before I attempted to use it. For someone with little cooking experience, it looked scary! Little did I know it would become a lifeline to creating healthy, fresh meals for the entire family. It’s put to good use at least three times a week for everything from rotisserie chicken to soups.
One of my favorite slow cooker meals is a lentil and chickpea stew. It’s full of flavor and hearty enough to satisfy for lunch or a light dinner. This dish takes a little planning ahead as you need to soak the chickpeas overnight. In the morning, combine all soaked beans with the other ingredients listed below, select the low setting and 6 hours later, it’s ready!
Lentil Chickpea Stew Recipe:
- 3/4 cup dried chickpeas (soak overnight)
- 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups of organic vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of organic tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped