For those of you conquering your gluten allergy, it’s important to remember that there are gluten-free alternatives for foods like pasta and bread. Pasta is such a quick and easy food to make, so I love having gluten-free alternatives when I want boil up a quick pot of penne for dinner. Pasta is great because it has a neutral flavor and there are a million ways to prepare it. For this recipe, I even cook the penne in vegetable broth to add extra flavor to the noodles. I toss the pasta with black rice and lima beans to add new textures to the dish.
This is one of the most flavorful pasta recipes I have thanks to the amazing creamy almond butter sauce I used. The sauce is extremely simple to make — just combine the almond butter with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. I love finding creative ways to use almond butter — it’s super healthy and a great source of protein. Plus it’s creamy and perfect for making sauces you can serve with whole grain rice, pasta, veggies and more.
This gluten-free, dairy-free and soy-free dish is great for dinner or lunch and can be saved for flavorful leftovers. Bon appétit!
Lima Bean n’ Black Rice Pasta (Serves 4)
- 1 cup organic frozen lima beans
- 1 lb. gluten-free penne pasta
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup organic black rice
- 2 Tbsp. organic smooth almond butter
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- Rinse frozen lima beans with water for 10 seconds, then thaw in a bowl on the countertop; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add vegetable broth. Cook pasta in water and broth until pasta is al dente.
- In a separate pot, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook black rice according to package directions in boiling water.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk almond butter, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta and toss with black rice and lima beans. Drizzle with almond butter mixture; gently toss to coat.
- Garnish with fresh lemon zest and serve.