I love taking what are considered indulgent, “non-healthy” foods and making them healthy and nutritious – yet every bit as indulgent! Healthy options never have to be bland nor boring.
It’s Fall, which means pumpkin everything, everywhere you look! So here’s one of my favorite recipes: Vanilla Pumpkin Paleo Pancakes. They’re great for those lazy Sunday mornings at home or an easy and fun breakfast option during the workweek.
Vanilla Pumpkin Paleo Pancakes
2 organic eggs
1/4 cup almond/grain-free flour (coconut flour if preferred)
1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree, not canned pumpkin pie mix which has sugar (Thrive)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 scoop of Be Well Organic Plant Protein in Vanilla
1-2 Tablespoon Collagen Powder (added for the extra benefits/protein and it helps thickens the batter as well!)
Coconut oil, for cooking
Raw organic honey (optional)
- 1) Beat the eggs in a bowl, combine other ingredients and add to eggs, blending until smooth and not runny.
- 2) Smear coconut oil or ghee onto your pan on low heat.
- 3) Pour 2 medium-size pancakes onto the pan and cook until set on one side. Note: These pancakes won’t “bubble” on top as much as normal pancakes usually do, so periodically check the bottom with a spatula to see if it’s brown enough and ready to flip.
- 4) Flip the pancakes once they are browned on the bottoms, then pat them down. Make sure pancakes cooks all the way through.
- 5) Remove from heat and plate. Smear on ghee or grass-fed butter if desired.
- Because these pancakes are pre-sweetened from the protein powder and pumpkin is naturally sweet, you’re set – no syrups needed! If you really need a little something like maple syrup, do just 1 tsp of raw honey melted over so as not to add a lot of sugar.