Like any gluten-free good health fanatic, I’m a HUGE salad lover! Salads are a delicious way to enjoy a few servings of veggies in just one meal. Plus, you can prepare a large bowl of the recipe, leave the dressing on the side and enjoy leftovers for lunch the following day. Salads are great because there are endless combinations of healthy toppings to choose from, so you can try new recipes and mix and match until you find the perfect salad for you.
To make this salad I used 1 cup of mixed greens as a base — dark leafy greens are one of the best way to get phytonutrients and lots of fiber. To jazz up my greens, I added finely chopped purple cabbage, carrots julienned (fancy kitchen talk for thinly sliced), fresh parsley, and chives. On top of the veggies, this salad is loaded with healthy fats from pistachios, sunflower seeds, and avocado. I love the contrast between the creamy texture of the avocado and the crunchy texture of the nuts and seeds. I also love making my own salad dressing; this one is easy to make and infinitely better than prepackaged dressings that are packed with chemicals and preservatives. To make the Balsamic Honey Dressing for this recipe, all you have to do is whisk olive oil, Dijon, balsamic vinegar, honey, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper and you’re ready to eat.
Next time you’re in the mood for a fresh new meal, try this yummy Pistachio and Avocado Salad!
Pistachio Avocado Salad with Balsamic Honey Dressing – Serves 4
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. organic balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. organic, raw honey
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 large organic ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- 2 cups organic purple cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 cup mixed greens
- 2 large organic carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 6 fresh chives, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. raw sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp. raw pistachios, shelled
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, Dijon, balsamic vinegar, honey, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, combine avocado, cabbage, mixed greens, carrot, parsley, chives, sunflower seeds and pistachios.
- Drizzle salad with dressing; gently toss to coat.