I love cooking with lentils because they are so quick and easy. This recipe can be made in the slow cooker and is “one pot cooking” and warming comfort food at it’s best.
Lentils are a great source of protein, fiber and iron. The soluble fiber in lentils helps to lower cholesterol and stabilize blood sugar. Lentils are also a good source of folic acid and are considered a good food for supporting fertility.
As you can see, this dish is full of spices which also have powerful health benefits. Turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory. Coriander can help lower blood pressure and ease digestive discomfort. Ginger is also anti-inflammatory. It helps to ease nausea and support the digestive system.
As if this medley of lentils and spices isn’t healthy enough, when we cook this dish we often add a handful of veggies such as kale, spinach, broccoli or chopped carrots. The veggies cook down quite a bit in the slow cooker.
- 1 cup pink lentils (masoor dal)
- 1.5 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1.5 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional: veggies such as kale or broccoli. A few drops of lemon juice. A few sprigs of chopped cilantro for garnish.
- Put the crockpot on a high setting and add the oil. Once it is hot add the onions, garlic and ginger along with a couple of tablespoons of water and stir.
- Add the tomato puree and the spices, mixing well.
- Add the lentils and three cups of water or vegetable stock and mix thoroughly.
- Optional: You can also add a cup of veggies such as kale or broccoli.
- Put the lid on the crockpot. Cook for about three hours on a high setting or five hours on a low setting. If the mixture gets dry during cooking, add more water.
- When the dal has broken down thoroughly, stir the dal well with a ladle. Check for salt and add more if needed.
- You can squeeze a few drops of lemon juice and garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot with steamed rice and enjoy!