January, for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, is one tough month. Short days, long nights, and low temperatures make the month a dreary one to say the least. While some people fight off the depressive winter elements by numbing themselves with unhealthy cocktails or potentially dangerous pharmaceuticals, I recommend a simpler, low-cost approach: getting your groove on.
Yes, the simple act of listening and dancing to a few upbeat tunes every day can help you beat back the winter blues, improve immunity, boost brain function, and trigger the brain’s release of the feel-good chemical dopamine. You’ll also relieve stress and anxiety and pack in a little more exercise.
Simply put, enjoying upbeat music and dancing can have powerfully positive effects on health, so my prescription is to shake winter off as often as possible — or at least until you can book that sunny getaway!
To help get you into the groove, here are a few up-tempo tunes with a wonderfully medicinal kick for body and mind:
- 1) I’m Alive (Life Sounds Like) (Michael Franti & Spearhead)
- 2) Happy (Pharrell Williams)
- 3) S.O.B. (Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats)
- 4) 27 (Passenger)
- 5) Can’t Stop The Feeling (Justin Timberlake)
- 6) Pushing On (Oliver $ and Jimi Jules)
- 7) Uptown Funk (Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars)
- 8) The Fighter feat. Ryan Tedder (Gym Class Heroes)
- 9) Hello (Reggae Cover) (Conkarah & Rosie Delmah)
- 10) Who Knows (Protoje featuring Chronixx)
- 11) Stand By Me (Playing for Change)
- 12) Me Gustas Tu (Manu Chao)
- 13) Mas Que Nada (Sergio Mendes)
- 14) Duele El Corazon (Enrique Iglesias feat. Wisin)
- 15) Be the Change (MC YOGI)
- 16) Sénégal Fast Food (Amadou & Mariam feat. Manu Chao)
- 17) Scatterlings Of Africa (Johnny Clegg)
- 18) Yela (Baaba Maal)
- 19) Cleopatra (The Lumineers)
- 20) Dance Me to the End of Love (Leonard Cohen)
See you on the dance floor!