By Be Well Health Coach Katrine van Wyk From Her Book “Best Green Eats Ever”
Photo by Patryce Bak
This salad is inspired by my favorite Vietnamese salad. It is simple, without too many crazy ingredients, yet it tastes so exotic and delicious. The secret is in the dressing…
Ingredients (Serves 4 – Paleo, Gluten-Free)
- 1-1/2 cup chicken – use leftovers from a rotisserie or roast chicken, or some sliced, grilled chicken breast
- 1 head Napa cabbage, washed well and sliced into strips
- ½ red or orange pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 3 spring onions
- 1/3 cup cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 chili, seeds removed, thinly sliced (optional – add just to your own spice preference)
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp coconut sugar or syrup
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl or jar and set aside.
- With your fingers, shred the chicken into bite sized pieces or, if you’re using grilled breasts, slice the breasts thin. Drizzle the chicken with ¼ cup of the dressing and set aside.
- Cut up your salad ingredients and add them to a large mixing bowl. Pour the remaining dressing over and toss everything together well.
- Add in the chicken and chia seeds. Give it another toss and serve.