I recently suffered a nasty side effect of Doxycycline which made it difficult to swallow and painful to eat solid foods, making liquids my only option.
For a week, I sipped, slurped and spooned homemade smoothies while my throat healed. They allowed me to get the nutrition I needed without causing me any pain! This experience once again reminded me why I love smoothies and how they are such an essential part of a healthy diet.
Just so you know, I’m not talking about those fruit juice, sugar laden smoothies – I mean whole food smoothies that are loaded with nutritious ingredients! I love to use a whey protein or a pea protein powder and blend it with nut milk or coconut milk, healthy fats, leafy greens or a greens powder, and sometimes a little organic fruit.
Here Are My Top 3 Reasons Why Smoothies Are So Good For You:
- They are nutrient dense: a smoothie makes an easy canvas for creating a powerful nutritious meal. Protein powders supply essential minerals, vitamins and amino acids, leafy greens are chock full of phytonutrients and the addition of healthy fats such as avocado, coconut oil, chia seeds, flax seeds keep you feeling full and satisfied, and can even help boost your metabolism.
- They offer digestive rest: since your meal is in liquid form, it is easily digested, meaning that your body does not have to harness any additional energy to break down your meal. This extra energy is then used to repair and restore the body, which is incredibly important in maintaining general health and well being.
- They can include a variety of ingredients: you have probably heard the term “eat the colors of the rainbow,” and because you can use such a wide variety of ingredients, smoothies are probably the easiest way to incorporate the “rainbow” into your diet. Some smoothies maybe primarily green (phytonutrient rich) consisting of leafy greens such as kale, spinach, chard, lettuce or a greens powder. Others might be a purple or pink color and rich in antioxidants found in blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. Blend your favorite combinations – you’ll never be bored plus a smoothie is a great way to sneak in veggies for those who are veggie phobic.
Here Are Some of the Ways That You Can Enjoy a Smoothie:
- At breakfast, they can set you up with a strong nutritional foundation for the rest of the day.
- As a post workout recovery drink, they help muscles get the nutrients and amino acids they need to restore and recover after exercise.
- In place of a late afternoon sugary snack, reach for a smoothie instead and your cravings will be well satisfied.
- As a “reset” if you have been overindulging, 2-3 days of smoothies only can help orient you to getting back on track again.
- To fill in nutritional gaps if you have been ill and unable to eat properly.
And as an added bonus:
Green Minty Magic Smoothie (Serves 1)
- 4 oz Chilled mint tea
- 4 oz Unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Scoop Be Well Whey Protein Powder (or 1 packet Plant Protein + Multi )
- 1 Cup kale
- 1 Cup spinach
- ¼ avocado
- 10 Fresh mint leaves
- 1 T chia seeds
- 6 ice cubes
- Optional – 1 t Be Well MCT Oil
Blend till smoothie and creamy
Need help making your own smoothies? Check out our Smoothie Making 101 post for some great ideas and guidelines!