I’m just crazy about quinoa, that tiny, nutty tasting little seed that makes a delicious alternative to grains. Quinoa is so quick, and easy to cook., loaded with protein and very diverse. It’s a great base for salads, stir-fries and even as a breakfast porridge with walnuts, fresh blueberries and a drizzle of raw honey. And it also makes a delicious base for gluten free pizza.
Be sure to cook extra since it keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days.
I was asked to bring a quinoa salad to lunch at friends the other day…. here is what I made.
Southwestern Quinoa Salad – Serves 6
1 cup quinoa cooked according to packaging instructions – allow to cool when cooked.
Then add the following:
- 1 can of black beans rinsed and drained (use Eden canned beans as their cans are BPA-free)
- 1 red pepper diced
- 3 – 4 shallots finely chopped – all the white parts and just a bit of the green
- 1 cup organic corn (I used frozen organic corn)
- A hand full of chopped cilantro
Toss with following dressing (This makes more than you need)
- Juice of 2 limes – about 1/4 cup
- 3/4 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBS of wheat free Tamari
- Salt and crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Shake well