Now that my children are both of school age, it’s become more difficult to avoid some of the less desirable foods—like all that candy post trick-or-treating. Instead of telling them what they can’t have, I try and get creative with foods they actually ask to eat. My kids are in love with apples and this time of year, they’re absolutely delicious. Here’s our go-to healthy Halloween treat to embrace the holiday.
These monster mouths are one of my favorite spooky treats:
- 6 to 8 apples
- organic almond butter (can substitute any nut or seed butter)
- 1 cup of slivered Almonds
- 1 cup of pine nuts
- 10 strawberries (optional)
- Take a 4-5 inch slice of apple with the middle carved out
- Fill it up with a nut or seed butter of your choice
- Use pine nuts and slivered almonds for teeth
- Add a slice of strawberry for a tongue
For more ideas on making Halloween healthy, here are my top tips and tricks.