There’s nothing like summer’s bountiful harvest to renew and rejuvenate your skin and overall health. The season’s fruits are full of healing properties, making for a simple and effective way to keep your skin looking firmer, clearer and younger. Indulge in these seven fruits, inside and out, while they’re fresh and abundant.
Watermelon contains citrulline, an amino acid that is converted to arginine, which relaxes blood vessels and improves blood flow for healthier-looking skin.
Peaches are rich in beta-carotene, which helps protect skin from sun damage.
Blueberries are filled with fiber, potassium, folate, vitamin C, vitamin B6, as well as phytonutrients. They’ve long been touted as a way to promote collagen production for healthy skin.
Blackberries are loaded with antioxidants. They keep skin youthful by protecting against free radicals, which can cause premature signs of aging and pigmentation issues.
Plums are loaded with protective antioxidants called phenols. They’re also 85 percent water, which means they’re a great way to keep your skin hydrated in the hot summer months.
Kiwi Fruit are a great source of vitamin C, with higher content than lemons and oranges! Pureed kiwi fruit is a potent addition to any face mask, removing dead skin cells and promoting cellular turnover to keep skin bright, youthful, and glowing.
Apricots are an excellent source of vitamins A and C, which aid in the production of collagen and elastin to support skin’s suppleness.
When it comes to fruits, there’s one caveat to note: Fruits are a whole, healthy food, but they’re also high in natural sugars. We recommend enjoying these summer bounties in limited quantities – better yet, choose lower-sugar fruits like berries for eating, while reserving high-sugar fruits (like watermelon) for topical applications. Here are some simple, yummy ways to incorporate more of these fruits into your diet.
Healing From The Inside Out
Infuse water to make a refreshing flavorful summer sipper.
- Place 2 cups of sliced fruit in a glass gallon jar.
- Fill jar with water and let steep in refrigerator overnight.
- Discard the fruit and drink up!
- For added deliciousness, try mixing multiple fruits or using herbs, like watermelon-basil or strawberry-mint.
Make a healthy dessert that’s just as beautiful as it is tasty.
- Puree kiwi fruit, blueberries, peaches, and blackberries separately.
- Layer the fruits in a parfait glass. Top with toasted coconut.
Create a simple syrup that tastes like summer.
- Simmer fruit with a touch of water and lemon juice.
- Strain out any seeds.
- Drizzle a small amount over coconut ice cream, yogurt, or oatmeal.
Nothing beats homemade fresh fruit popsicles or a smoothie on a hot summer day. Try these recipes from our Be Well Health Coaches:
Healing From the Outside In
Mix ½ cup of your infused water (above) with 1 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar for ananti-aging toner. Store in a spray bottle in the refrigerator.
Beat the heat with a homemade toner ice cube. Freeze your infused water in ice cube trays. After cleansing, use the ice as a toner in the shower. The hot/cold combo is an amazing pore workout!
Target wrinkles with a fruit-full face mask.
- Combine 1 teaspoon watermelon juice, 1 teaspoon peach puree, ½ teaspoon blueberry puree, 1 teaspoon green or kaolin clay, and a pinch bamboo charcoal.
- Apply the paste to your skin and leave for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
Soothe a sunburn with a calming spray.
- Mix 1 tablespoon watermelon juice, 1 tablespoon aloe vera juice, ½ teaspoon witch hazel, and a drop of peppermint essential oil.
- Spray on sunburned skin. For extra cooling effect, cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour before using.
Make a watermelon body scrub.
- Puree 1 cup of watermelon rind in a blender or food processor.
- Add 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons of watermelon flesh, 1 tablespoon of yogurt, and 1 tablespoon of honey (optional for vegans) and puree again.
- Remove from blender and add ¼ cup salt to ¼ of the mixture.
- Scrub body exfoliate from head to toe in the shower or bath.
Whether you want to look better, feel better, or both, summer fruits are your answer! Adding them to your daily lifestyle will keep you in the glow.
Debbi Burnes is the founder and CEO of Sumbody, a skincare company dedicated to natural, eco-friendly products, and the author of Look Great, Live Green and Natural Beauty Skin Care. Follow along on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter, and Pinterest to discover more.