Photo by Betsy Nelson
Looking for a different way to do sweet potatoes this Thanksgiving? Try this warm and nurturing (and Cleanse-friendly!) sweet potato soup, which is spiked with garam masala, a delicious Indian blend of spices that can aid digestion and help regulate blood sugar.
Sweet Potato Soup with Garam Masala (serves 4)
- 2 T. coconut oil or ghee
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 T. minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 T. garam masala, plus more for garnish
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 1 (13.5-14 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
- 1 T. pumpkin seed oil or toasted sesame oil
Heat the coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the onion, ginger, turmeric, garam masala and black pepper. Stir until fragrant.
Add the celery, sweet potato, coconut milk and stock, bring to a boil, and then simmer until the vegetables are tender.
Blend until smooth with an immersion blender or in a blender and season with salt to taste. To serve, drizzle with pumpkin seed or sesame oil and sprinkle with garam masala and freshly ground black pepper.