This dish is one of my favorites to serve at a dinner party — it’s easy to prepare, yet impressive to share with guests. Your plate will be full of beautiful colors, thanks to the Swiss chard and cherries. And best of all, it’s bursting with flavor, from lemon to basil to the surprising range of spices. Enjoy!
Ingredients (Serving for 4)
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ tsp. dried basil
- 4 slices gluten-free whole grain bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup red or white quinoa
- 2 cups finely chopped Swiss chard
- 1 tsp. organic honey
- 1/4 tsp. curry powder
- ¼ tsp. coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. dried cherries, chopped
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In large bowl combine 2 Tbsp. olive oil, basil and cubes of bread; gently toss to combine until evenly coated.
- Spread cubes onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a single layer.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove from oven; set aside.
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; add quinoa and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes or until quinoa is soft then fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, steam Swiss chard in a steamer over medium heat for 3 minutes or until tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk honey, curry powder, coriander seeds, salt, pepper, lemon juice and remaining 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a large bowl.
- Add quinoa, cherries, Swiss chard, hazelnuts and chili powder; gently toss to combine.
- Top with toasted bread and serve.