Use the juiciest, freshest tomatoes you can find for this easy and refreshing gazpacho recipe. Feel free to experiment with different colors and varieties of tomatoes from your grocer or farmer’s market – yellow, red, or heirloom are all fun ways to play with flavor! This recipe creates a delicate soup with fresh vegetable texture and lots of bright, summery flavor.
6 tomatoes (preferably locally grown), coarsely chopped
1 med red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1⁄2 med green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, cut into quarters
1⁄2 jalapeño or other hot green pepper, chopped (optional)
1 lg cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 med red onion, coarsely chopped
1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Select approximately 1 tablespoon each of green and red bell peppers, cucumber, and onion.
2. Finely chop and set aside for garnish.
1. Place remaining green and red bell pepper, cucumber, and onion pieces into a food processor.
2. Add all tomatoes, garlic, and jalapeño (if desired).
3. Process until smooth.
4. Reserve half of the vegetable mixture in a large bowl. Pour the other half through a fine strainer in batches, pushing to extract the juice into a smaller bowl. Discard the pulp.
5. Add the juice to the vegetable mixture and mix together, adding salt and pepper to taste.
6. Chill for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to meld together.
7. To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Spoon fresh vegetable garnish on top.