Looking for a Fall inspired dessert that won’t set you off track or ruin your cleanse? Look no further than this twist on the classic apple crumble. This nutty apple coconut crumble is loaded with healthy fats that help stabilize your blood sugar and keep you full and satiated. There is no added sugar which makes it a detox-friendly dessert and allows nature’s candy to really shine. Apples are at their peak harvest in the Fall, so take advantage of a fun local variety you maybe can’t find in the superstore year round.
Cleanse-friendly Nutty Apple Coconut Crumble
makes 3-4 servings
- 2 organic apples, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup chopped mixed raw nuts (our favorite combination is walnuts, pecans, and brazil nuts)
- 1/4 cup organic coconut shreds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
- 2 tablespoons coconut manna (aka coconut butter)
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk or any nut milk variety you wish
- 1 teaspoon organic, pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (and a little extra to go on top)
- 1/2 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Melt your ghee or coconut oil and coat your pan (we used a 5×9 loaf pan)
Add the apples, spices, ginger, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, and lemon juice to the pan and mix well.
In a separate bowl, mix the shredded coconut, chopped nuts, chia seeds, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Add the coconut manna to the separate bowl and use your hands to massage the mixture so it is all combined and has a sticky-like consistency.
Place crumble mixture on top of the apples and make sure it is spread evenly.
Pour 2 tablespoons coconut or nut milk all over the ingredients in the pan, and sprinkle a few more dashes of cinnamon on top.
Cover with aluminum foil or oven-proof lid and bake for 20 minutes.
Uncover and bake for another 5-7 until the crumble is lightly toasted.
Remove and let sit for 5-10 minutes, then enjoy!