The thyroid is a small gland at the base of your neck that makes hormones to regulate your metabolism, energy, and mood, along with other important functions. Your thyroid needs many nutrients, minerals, and vitamins to properly function — especially iodine, zinc, selenium, B vitamins, vitamin E, and omega-3s. When your thyroid is out of balance, many symptoms can occur, including weight loss or gain, foggy thinking, fatigue, hair loss, and dry skin.
Eating foods rich in the aforementioned nutrients and exploring healing adaptogens is a great way to naturally balance your thyroid. Adaptogens help support energy as well as regulate your cortisol, aka your stress response hormone. If you suffer from any thyroid dysfunction, enjoying this smoothie often can naturally boost your thyroid function. Choose organic produce as well as organic, raw nuts and seeds when possible. Additionally, source your adaptogens from a reputable, sustainable company, such as Mountain Rose Herbs.
- 2 cups spinach — a great source of phytonutrients and vitamin B6
- 1 cup walnut milk — rich in omega-3s
- ½ cup filtered water
- 1 scoop collagen powder — rich in amino acids, essential building blocks for protein and hormones, and great for healing the gut lining
- 1 scoop Reds — rich in antioxidants
- ½ an apple — high in pectins, which help flush toxins from the system
- ¼ an avocado — high in fiber and healthy fats to balance hormones
- 3 Brazil nuts — rich in selenium
- 1 TBSP hemp seeds — rich in vitamin E
- 1 TBSP pumpkin seeds — rich in zinc
- 1 TBSP maca powder — enhances energy
- 1 TBSP ashwagandha powder — balances hormones by helping to stabilize the nervous system
- 1 TSP raw apple cider vinegar — aids digestion and heals the gut
- ⅛ TSP bladderwrack powder — rich in iodine
- Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
Enjoy this smoothie frequently to nourish your body with the vitamins it needs and to boost thyroid function! Learn more about thyroid health here.