We’ve upgraded the ever-popular avocado toast with homemade gluten-free bread and a poached egg, on top, for added protein and nutrients.
We now know that the yolk contains most of the egg’s nutrients, so it’s about time we change your mind about egg yolks (if we haven’t already)! The yolk contains choline, which is essential for the functioning of all cells, especially brain cells. Egg yolks also contain antioxidants; B vitamins, including B12; vitamin A; iron; selenium; biotin; phosphorous, and other various trace nutrients. Egg whites, alone, lack many of the nutrients that are found in the yolk, a nutrition powerhouse.
We use one of our favorite homemade gluten-free bread recipes from Elana’s Pantry. You can also use a store-bought, gluten-free bread but make sure to check the ingredients to avoid too many additives.
- 1 egg
- ½ Hass avocado
- 1 slice gluten-free bread
- salt & pepper
- chili flakes
- Toast bread until dark and firm.
- Scoop the avocado into a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Spread mashed avocado on toast
- Poach egg
- (or cook sunny-side up).
- Place egg on avocado toast and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
- Cut diagonally and allow yolk to ooze over and onto the plate.